Meet Ruby our wellbeing dog
Ruby is our amazing wellbeing dog, who is working in our school as part of an on-going provision for wellbeing and mental health. Ruby lives with Ms Holdsworth and comes into school every day to be alongside the children. Ruby is based in the office or with Mrs Parrish and visits the children regularly throughout the day.
What are the benefits of a school dog?
- Improved behaviour and concentration, reduced stress and improved self-esteem.
- Encouraging expression, participation and confidence for all children.
- Fostering a sense of responsibility.
- Motivating pupils to think and to learn.
- Developing an enthusiasm for and enjoyment of animals.
- Encouraging respect and thereby improving pupils’ relationships with each other, parents and teachers.
- Teaching children to nurture and respect life.
- Helping work undertaken with the most vulnerable children.
- Helping children build confidence in reading.
- Improving attendance.
- Helping overcome a fear of dogs.
- Developing the understanding of unconditional love.
- Supporting with the development of cooperative play.
- Supporting children to develop empathy and promote our Well Being agenda for pupils.
How has the school planned for this?
- Rigorous research has been carried out to ensure that we have selected the most suitable breed of dog for our school, pupils and staff.
- Prior to purchasing the puppy senior members of staff have visited the home of the breeder to ensure that the puppy’s temperament, and that of their parents, is suitable for interaction with children.
- A full risk assessment and policy has been written and will be available on the website.
- When the dog begins working with individual children, consent will be sought for each child to have contact.
- All contact will be carefully planned and children will not be left unsupervised with the dog.
- When not working, Ruby will be based in the office or with Mrs Parrish.
What about allergies?
- Ruby is a cockapoo and the breed have low allergy and low shedding qualities,
- All areas of the school are vacuumed and surfaces are wiped down daily;
- Movement around the school will be controlled.
- Ruby will be regularly groomed.
- Any child working with Ruby will wash their hands.
To find out more information, please visit our Ruby’s Blog for regular updates.
Wellbeing Dog – Dog Policy
Wellbeing Dog - Risk Assessment
Wellbeing Dog – Introduction letter to our community